Table of Contents
History and Characteristics of the Mixed Breed.
The Pitbull-Shih Tzu mix is a designer dog created by breeding a purebred Pitbull and Shih Tzu. It has been growing in popularity over the last few decades as a pet choice, though its exact origin story is unknown. This mix of breeds is thought to have been used as both guard dogs and companions since the mid-1990s, making it one of the newer and most popular hybrids breed dogs today.
What do you get when you mixed a Pitbull and Shih Tzu?
Crossing a Pitbull and Shih Tzu, you get the hybrid breed called the Pit Tzu or Shih Bull (and whatever you want to call them). This breed is known for its exceptional loyalty and protective nature, making it an excellent guard dog for the family.
These small dogs have short coats in various colors and require regular grooming to maintain. Although quite active in their energy levels, Pit Tzus are loyal and loving companions that easily bond with their owners due to their eagerness to please them.
What are the characteristics of a Shih Tzu and pitbull mix?
The Shih Tzu and Pitbull mix, better known as the Pitshih, is not a perfect science. That being said, some of the most common characteristics you can expect in this mixed breed include:
- Intelligent, Loyal and inquisitive personality.
- Low to moderate energy level.
- Short, soft coat.
- Muscular build with strong jaw muscles.
- Tendency to bark non-stop when left alone for extended periods of time.
- Protective nature – often guarding family members against strangers.
While it’s impossible to predict any single dog’s exact temperament, size, and final look due to variation based on which parent they take after genetically – generally speaking, Pitshi is an affectionate and entertaining companion.
Are Shih Tzu/Pitbull mix family-friendly dogs?
Shih Tzu mixed with pitbull can become an excellent family-friendly dog that is loyal and loving towards its pet parents. However, they are not as welcoming of strangers so basic obedience and socialization training will be beneficial in introducing them to new surroundings and people. They need lots of attention and love but can also be fussy if they don’t get enough.
Shih Tzu are known to be perfect family pets thanks to their playful, loving and gentle nature. If you’re looking for more information on this breed, the article “Shih Tzu Dog Breed” will tell you everything you need to know!
The best way to ensure a well-behaved pup is by being consistent with his obedience training, and giving him plenty of playtimes, walks, and affection. With the right amount of dedicated care from the pet parent, these mixed breeds make fantastic family pets with their gentle temperament and intelligence.
The appearance of the Shih Tzu Pitbull mix
The Shih Tzu Pitbull mix is a medium-sized pup, Height 10-25 inches, weighing anywhere between 15 to 35 lbs. Its coat may vary in color, if it takes after the Pitbull parent it will likely be short and dense with a combination of red, black, and white.
An inheritance of its Shih Tzu parent may result in a long and fluffy coating. This hybrid breed typically has a broad head and upright ears similar to the Pitbull but also long muzzles, and big round eyes from their Shih Tzu ancestor. In terms of size, the average height for a full-grown Shih Tzu Pitbull mix ranges from 10-25 inches.
How to get a pitbull dominant breed mix with Shih Tzu?
Creating a Shih Tzu-Pitbull mix requires some careful breeding. The pup you end up with will depend on what qualities you are looking for. Do some research on both of the breeds to become familiar with their specifications and make sure they’re a suitable match before taking the plunge. With the right pairings, it is possible to create this Pitbull dominant hybrid.
When deciding on a breeder, look closely at their breeding program as this can indicate how healthy your pup will be. Also, because Mixes are still considered ‘hybrids’, there are certain health concerns that can arise due to the characteristics of either parent breed which could affect the resulting pup, so discuss any health questions with the breeder before making a decision about bringing home a new furry family member.
Which one should male for Shih Tzu mixed with pitbull?
It is important to consider both the male and female of both breeds when trying to decide which one should be used for a Shih Tzu Pitbull mix. Generally, the female Pitbull should be larger and more powerful with a taller frame, while the male Shih Tzu should be smaller and gentler with a shorter frame.
Be aware of the size differences between the male and female when creating a Shih Tzu Pitbull mix. A female Pitbull should be chosen for this breed, as it is larger and more powerful with a taller frame, which can prevent the potential risks associated with birthing the litter between a female Shih Tzu and a Pitbull.
The puppy will likely be bigger than what the average Shih Tzu can handle. This is because while a female Pitbull’s size and strength may provide more assurance that the pup will come out healthy, accompanying a smaller frame than its male counterpart, there could still potentially be issues if the litter size exceeds maximum capacity, therefore it is best to select a female pitbull in order to ensure safety.
Temperaments Of Shih Tzu Pitbull Mixes
Are Shih Tzu Pitbull Mixes Less Aggressive?
While individual dogs will have different personalities due to environment and upbringing, Shih Tzu Pitbull mixes tend to be friendly, intelligent, and loyal. In contrast, purebred Pitbulls can sometimes develop aggressive tendencies due to their breeding.
The mellow temperament of a Shih Tzu combined with the strength and loyal nature of a Pitbull is a powerful combination that often produces a loyal dog with great protective instincts but without the aggression that can sometimes be found in Pitbulls.
If Training is consistent and early socialization begins when they are puppies, these dogs should make great pets for almost any home.
Can Shih Tzu Pitbull Mixes Be Left Alone All Day?
Generally speaking, these dogs are not recommended for families who will be away from home for the majority of the day. Like many other hybrid breeds, Shih Tzu Pitbull mixes can suffer from separation anxiety if left alone for extended periods of time.
The effects of this could range from mild whining to destructive behavior and even escape attempts. To avoid such problem behaviors, it’s important that they receive mental and physical stimulation on a regular basis. Taking them on walks or providing them with interactive toys are two excellent ways to keep their minds and bodies active while they’re gone.
Health Issues and Vet Visits.
All crossbreeds, including the Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull, should visit the vet regularly. It’s important to keep an eye on this breed’s health as its two parents have different potential health issues. Common health problems for these dogs include allergies, back problems, and patellar luxation.
- Dental Issues: Dental problems can be common in the Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull due to their mix of small and large breed genetics. Most smaller breeds tend to have more dental problems than larger ones, and genetics also play a role. While short muzzles reduce the effectiveness of tooth brushing, it’s important to keep up with regular dental check-ups and use chew toys or treats to help keep your dog’s teeth clean. Additionally, since they’re prone to developing allergies, it’s recommended that you avoid foods that contain artificial colors or preservatives as these can trigger allergic reactions.
- Allergies Issues: As mentioned earlier, allergies are a potential issue in the Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull. If your pup is showing signs of having an allergic reaction—itchy skin, hair loss, sneezing, and coughing—be sure to take them to the vet for diagnosis and treatment. The most common causes of allergies in this breed are certain foods, environmental pollens, mold spores, grasses, and dust mites. Additionally, these dogs can suffer from seasonal allergies as well. Taking your pup for regular vet checks will help keep their skin and coat healthy.
- Joint And Back problems: The Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull is prone to joint and back problems due to their mix of short and tall genetics. This includes hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, patellar luxation (dislocation), Degenerative Myelopathy, and more. While these issues can be inherited, regular vet exams and a proper diet can help reduce their chances of developing these conditions. If your pup does show signs of any joint or back issues, be sure to take them in for a check-up as soon as possible to identify the cause of the issue and begin treatment. With regular medical care, these dogs can still have a long healthy life!
- Patellar luxation: Patellar luxation is a serious issue that can affect the Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull, due to their small stature. This condition can cause inflammation and discomfort in the area around the kneecap causing pain and weakened movement. If your pup shows signs of limpness, difficulty moving, or lack of balance then patellar luxation should be examined by a vet quickly. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are essential for preventing long-term damage and improving your pet’s quality of life.
Brachycephalic breathing issues due to their muzzle shape may also affect them. As part of a responsible pet owner, it’s important to watch out for these signs and take your pup for regular physician check-ups. Common signs of brachycephalic breathing issues include snoring, snorting, coughing, gagging, and difficulty breathing. If your pup exhibits any of these symptoms, it’s important to take them to the vet for a check-up. The vet may recommend lifestyle changes such as avoiding strenuous exercise or humid environments. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to correct
FAQs about Shih Tzu mix with Pitbull
Is it possible for a Shih Tzu and an American Pit Bull Terrier to get along?
Generally speaking, these two breeds do not have a lot of luck when it comes to living peacefully side by side. However, if the two dogs were socialized together from puppyhood, then there is a chance that they could learn to tolerate, if not love one another.
Is it a good idea to mix the Shih Tzu with the Pitbull breed?
Mixing the Shih Tzu and Pitbull breeds is not a foolproof recipe for a perfect pet. Depending on which parent the pup takes after genetically, potential owners could end up with an animal that has excessive health issues, heightened aggression toward strangers, and difficulty being socialized. Furthermore, ethical considerations should be taken into account as irresponsible breeders may seek to create designer mixes solely as money-making opportunities. Additionally, due to the unpredictability of this breed’s characteristic traits and tendencies, there are many health concerns associated with breeding hybrid animals.
Is it possible for a Pitbull and a Shih Tzu to mate?
Yes. It is possible for a Pitbull to breed with a Shih Tzu, resulting in what is commonly known as a Pitshih – the combination of these two breeds. However, this cross-breeding of dogs may produce puppies that have unexpected physical features – different from either parent – since there are variations in size and physical features between the two breeds.
How Much Does a Shih Tzu Pitbull Mix Cost?
Most litters of curious and delightful Shih Tzu Pitbull mixes will cost between $1,000 to $2,000. However, if you are looking for a particularly high-quality pup from a solid and established breeding line, the price can go as high as $4,000. On the other hand, if you are in the market for an adopted pet, it can be found in shelters at prices around or lower than $300.
Adoption dog instead of new breeding
To find the right pet combination, turn to dog rescues and shelters instead of breeders who are typically on the prowl for designer dogs. Not only can you enjoy a companion animal, but your contribution may also help save a rescue dog’s life. Combined with their loyalty and intelligence, making one of these cuties a part of your household is sure to result in many years of joy and companionship for you and your family.
Ultimately, the Shih Tzu mixed with Pitbull has become a popular designer breed for many potential owners looking for a unique pet. However, there are serious ethical considerations that should be taken into account before taking on a Pitshih pup. Responsible breeders and dog owners should always prioritize health, temperament, and socialization when choosing or creating any kind of companion animal.
Mix Dog Breeds: Resources